Thursday, September 1, 2011

September 1st


When I was in Toronto a few weeks back, as I was walking up and down King and Queen St, going into any and every shop, I saw a chair/sofa that I've dreamed about owning since I was a little kid (well before my love of modern furniture had developed).  It's called the Joe sofa and is basically a giant vintage looking baseball glove that seats 2-3 people.   the version that I saw was from the 1970s/80s in a great worn tan leather in overall pretty decent condition (not quite as this one pictured).  It was in a shop filled with high end italian and french items costing hundreds to tens of thousands of dollars.  The Joe definitely stood out from the rest of the items in the shop, and not only because of it's giant scale.  Knowing that a new Joe cost $8K+ I was expecting this chair in this shop to be in the $5000+ range, so when the owner told me that he was asking $2500 all I could think was, 'How can I get this home?'  Being that I was flying home on an 18 person plane, that wasn't an option and I knew shipping would cost hundreds if not more, so I let it go...

...and then today I called to see if it was still available, and IT IS!
How is there no one in Toronto that loves this chair as much as I do?
Hopefully, when I head up next week, we can make a deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment