Wednesday, August 31, 2011

August 31st

Good Monday!  I wish I was in Canada to see the promos for 'Natural Born Dealers', but i'm stuck here in Maine for another week or so.
This morning I got an email from someone that frequents our website (PasternakAntiques.blogspot.com) and has a pair of great chairs that she wants to sell, but like so many people that contact me on a daily basis they want super high, city retail.  Seriously, why on earth would anyone contact me, knowing that I'm in the business of reselling, and think that I'd consider paying more for something than I could sell it for?  Total insanity!  In any case, I did what always do, and made an offer for what I could pay.  In this case, it was less than half of what the seller wanted.  I know a lot of buyers wouldn't have bothered for one of two reasons: a) they don't want to insult a seller, and b) they don't think there's any chance that a seller would accept their offer - BUT, the simple truth is that sometimes sellers like to start super high, but they're willing to take a fraction of what they're asking (myself included on occasion) if no one bites for retail...or 80% of retail, or 60% of retail.  I just have to wait it out.  I don't mind doing that : )  

No comments:

Post a Comment